Re: rescue bootable cd ???

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 07:08:11AM -0500, helices wrote:
> Unfortunately, both systems on which I experienced such calamity ran lvm
> over software raid 5.  In fact, both systems ran lilo, not grub; and
> everything was under lvm, including root and boot.  Under these
> circumstances, there is specific configuration information missing, and
> that prevents the debian install cd, and knoppix, from being able to
> read my disks ;<
>
> When I started this thread, I was thinking about the olden days, when I
> (tried to remember to) ma[dk]e a boot floppy after each new kernel ;>

Of course in those days you didn't run software raid5 and lvm either, so
perhaps that is why those boot disks worked in the first place.

Nothing prevents you from assembling a raid using mdadm and scanning for
lvm volumes and bringing those up from a knoppix dvd.  I have done it
and it can be done.  Try not to screw up badly enough to need it, since
it is a bit of a pain. :)

Just don't touch mdadm --create and you should be safe.  You just want
to assemble the raid, and then find the PVs, bring up the VG and then
activate the volumes and mount the LVs.

--
Len Sorensen