Re: nvidia-glx 100.14.19 freezes the whole system

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:08:02AM +0100, A J Stiles wrote:
> On Sunday 23 Sep 2007, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> >
> > there is a heavy bug in NVidias driver. The bug let the whole system
> > unexpectly freeze. But, this is not a Debian related problem, it is caused
> > by the binary part of NVidias accelarator driver and touches most other
> > distributions, too (like SuSE, RedHat etc.)

> Which is one more reason -- as if you needed another one -- NOT to use
> binary-only drivers.  Why are the IT ministries of the world not standing up
> for our RIGHT to access the Source Code and BANNING binary-only drivers?
>
> Keep it i-tal, buy only hardware which has Open Source drivers; and keep
> campaigning to your elected representative.  We need Freedom Three as much
> today as we ever have.

So what video card has an Open Source driver that can access all
hardware accellerated functions?  In my case, I would like the hardware
mpeg convertions to work. I have an Nvidia EN7300GT card and get much
better picture quality when watching DVDs full-screen with the
debian-packaged Nvidia driver than with the nv driver.

The card only cost me $40 CDN so I don't mind replacing it with a better
card if anyone can recommend an OpenSource alternative.

Doug.