Re: usermin/webmin

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 09:04:36PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> webmin and usermin were kicked off a long time ago, because of a lot of bugs
> and errors. How are things handled ? Do you look after some time, if things
> have changed, to get those packages back again ?

Well the build system for webmin is a pain (well mainly the lack of one),
and the debian package was a real mess before.  I am not surprised no
one wanted to maintain it anymore.

I am not a fan of webmin, it's messy internal spagetti code style, the
many required checks for which type of system it is on in order to deal
with that distributions (and version) ways of doing things, or how darn
slow that bloated perl code is, or how it is so tied to it's own web
server that trying to run it on another web server doesn't work, etc.  I
do work with it a lot though since it is what the product I work on uses
as its configuration interface (although heavily modified in some places).