RE: Software vs Hardware RAID 10?

No, the main reasons for recommending against RAID-5/6 are
not connected to performance during normal operation.
Choosing the correct storage system is never primarily about
speed, the first considerations are always: reliability,
fault-tolerance, disaster-recovery, and fool-proof setup.

The Battle Against Any Raid Five initiative provides much
more information on why RAID-5 and RAID-6 should be avoided
for production servers:

<http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/BAARF2.html?30,42>

The above site should be required reading for anyone with
critical data.

Paul