Fw: resizing partition with Windows Vista

I'll forward this for a friend.

(btw.  I never used the web interface but was the opinion even if unsubscribed you can post there ?)

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:56:15 -0400
To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: resizing partition with Windows Vista

> Googling for a solution, the only one seems to
> be to buy a partitioning proprietary software that knows how to resize
> NTFS partitions with Vista on it.  Has anybody been successful resizing
> such a partition to create space for a dual boot system?

Dear Seb,

This past spring I bought a Dell computer and was able to shrink the
Vista partition so that I could install Debian and have a dual boot.

Originally I had a 'Dell Utility' partition of about 58 MB, then a
small partition (I forget what was there), then the Vista partition of
about 228 GB, then another small partition of free space.

When I tried to use the Windows utility to shrink the Vista partition
I found that it would only free up about 77 GB.  (It tells you how
much space you will get before actually doing it.)

Because I have the Vista system restore disk I decided to go ahead and
re-partition the drive using the Debian install CD.

First I ran the Vista defragmentation routine twice, then in the
Debian install I resized the Vista partition to about 50 GB.

The installation went fine, and at the end Grub installed the boot
routine in the MBR.

Peter Christensen