Re: How to use SMP right?

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 02:13:03PM +0200, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> On a multi-core (usually bi-core actually) processor, you see 2 CPUs in
> /proc/cpuinfo and different processes may run on both core at a time. (Some
> bi-core hyper-threaded Intel processors show you 4 CPUs in cpuinfo).

Jep, I know, buy one, get two or more CPUs. :)

> Of course, individual programs (particularily monothreaded ones) are not
> accelerated on a bicore processor.

Ok, that was obvious for me.

> In practice, for common use, you just need to install an SMP kernel (but
> recent ones ie 2.6.21 are always SMP!) et voilà.

That was not really clear. :) But it is simple, nice nice.

> Of course, don't expect any sequential number crunching program to speed
> up. You'll need to parallelize it.

I do not wan't to start in numbercrunching with the new workstation.

> What precisely do you intend to do with your new bi-core workstation?

I did not get the workstation for a special task. I only get a new one,
because my computer is really old and I want to have a look at 64bit
archetectures. :) The newer processors are only multiple Core CPUs and
what I do not want is to let some performance unused, because of using a
SMP-System only as a single processor system. Therefore I wanted to
know, what I have to do for using SMP. I did not exactly know, that
threading (most of the applications are threading) and turning on SMP in
the kernel is enough. But that question is answered.

Many thanks. :)

Best Regards.

Jan