Re: How to use SMP right?

the kernel will share the threads across the processors / cores.

you can see this in 'top', the processes being shared around

if you want the program you are writing to use more than one cpu you will need to thread it.

if you are running lots of different programs (as you do on a desktop)
then you will immediately see benefits from multicore / multicpu, as the kernel spreads them across the available processing units.

clustering is a totally different matter

Dean

Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:
Hi,
I am not really familar with multiprozessors or multicore systems except
installing a smp enabled kernel and see more then one cpu in
/proc/cpuinfo.

On clustersystems are tools for distributing prozesses to free nodes of
the cluster.
How is it running on single desktopsystems, does the smp enabled kernel
do the work for distributing the prozesses to the prozessors or do I
need to compile my software against special libs to use
multiprozessing/multicoring?

I am asking because I am getting an AMD dualcore Workstation in the next
days and I do not want to use it as a singleprocessor system.

Regards

Jan

--
WWW: http://deanpatrick.tk