Re: 32-bit vs AMD64 on Opteron for LAMP server

On 7/8/07, PÁSZTOR György <pasztor@linux.gyakg.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
Hi!

"Neil Gunton" <neil@nilspace.com> írta 2007-07-06 22:24-kor:
> Unfortunately, the RAID card I have doesn't seem to have been a type
> that really took off in any significant way. I don't know of anyone else
> who has one. If anyone does happen to have a spare Adaptec Smart RAID
> 2015S lying around in an unused server, then I'd love to hear whether
> they can try installing Etch and patching the kernel with the new
> dpt_i2o. But somehow I think anyone with such a server is probably using it.
I have Installed and do maintain a server which has Adaptec 2410S.
from lspci -v 's output:
01:02.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Adaptec AAR-2410SA PCI SATA 4ch (Jaguar II)
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 233
        Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Expansion ROM at fea00000 [disabled] [size=32K]

I don't like it. It works, anyway. I had never experienced any problem with
it, since I installed, but I like 3ware cards better, since they have utils
with it's driver CD, which is capable to interact with its /dev/twaX
controlling device.

We have servers with adaptec hardware raid 2000, 2010, 2015 and 2020
cards. We had some problems with broken cards and a crashing RAID
array. Performance seems quite good and management can be done with
the arcconf utility. We use the dpt_i2o (and for the 2020 aacraid)
driver everywhere since I have seen the i2o block driver eating my
data once:)

I can see the rebuilding status online, I can start rebuild, build hw raid
online, without shutting the OS down and need to get into the bios.
tw_cli is my best friend in this topic ;-)
But for this adaptec sh17, I cannot found any controlling utility.
Adaptec's site seemed kind of chaos to me, and in case if you want to
download sg. from them U need to register through dozens of forms, and you
can double it, if U don't live in US.
(So, maybe they had driver, but I had have no patience.)

Try downloading the Storage manager and check out the 'arcconf' utility.

Geert