Re: OpenGL

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 03:14:59AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Thanks. If not too much trouble, may I ash if the following status of my system
> is appropriate to opengl or should I install/change something (from the
> viewpoint that I do not need 3D acceleration):
>
> francesco@deb64:~$ lspci |egrep -i '(video|vga|display)'
> 81:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600]
> (rev a 2)
> francesco@deb64:~$
>
> francesco@deb64:~$ awk '/Section
> "(Module|Device|ServerFlags|extensions)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "Module"
>          Load    "bitmap"
>          Load    "dbe"
>          Load    "ddc"
>          Load    "dri"
>          Load    "extmod"
>          Load    "freetype"
>          Load    "glx"
>          Load    "int10"
>          Load    "record"
>          Load    "v4l"
>          Load    "vbe"
>  EndSection
>  Section "Device"
>          Identifier      "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600] (rev a2)"
>          Driver          "nv"

The nv driver does not accalerate openGL, so you only get whatever Mesa
provides in software.  If you installed the nvidia non-free driver
(nvidia-glx package, and nvidia-modules-kernelversion package) and
switch X to use 'nvidia' instead of 'nv' then you get accalerated
openGL.

I have a howto (which usually works well) at
http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.txt