Re: Why does this happen ?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 11:01:05AM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Oh sorry, I did not prezise my question corretly. I know that both conflict.
> This is clear for me. What I want to know is, WHY such a conflict happens.
> Why can (in my case) nexuis not access to libcurl4 and the other ones stay
> access to libcurl3 ? This was my question, as IMO both libs seem independent
> for me.
>
> On the other hand I wondered, why apt does not inhibit the deinstallation of
> the other programs or the installation of libcurl 4. Is it, because the
> philosophy says, in linux everything is allowed to be done and controlled by
> root ?
>
> My question aimed less to the technical side, but to the philosophical side.

You want to install libcurl4 which conflicts with your installed
libcurl3.  Lets assume that they both contain identially named files
that would overwrite each other on installation.  They may not be
destined for eventual coexistance so that is not planned for in their
namespace.

So apt will remove libcurl3.

However, your packages A, B, and C depend on libcurl3 (which is now
removed).

So apt will remove A, B, and C.

Sounds like you're running unstable.  Things like this should never
happen in stable.

The maintainers for A, B, and C can't update them to work with libcurl4
until its available.  So the timeline looks like this:

libcurl4 becomes available.

New package D needs libcurl4.

A, B, and C already exist and need libcurl3.

Maintainers for A, B, and C, start to transition their packages to use
the new libcurl4.

Here's where you're at now.

Eventually, A, B, C, and D will all depend on libcurl4 and libcurl3 will
be obsolete.

So philosophically, one must be philosophical about problems when
running unstable.

Doug.