Asus P5B Deluxe or Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP

Hi All!

I am thinking about assembling a new amd64 computer. With
recommendations on this list I settled on a Core 2 Duo processor with an
Asus P5B motherboard.

The new box will be on the second floor and it needs to be connected to
the network on the first floor. Cables won't work. So, I need to use
wireless for that. Therefore I was thinking about ASUS P5B
Deluxe/WiFi-AP. Is wireless on this board going to work with debian
amd64 ? I tried googling but didn't find any information on that matter.
With google I found out, though, that the WiFi-AP on that board is based
on some Realtek RTL chipset, and to make it work I will probably need
ndiswrapper. Does anybody here have this board and uses the wireless on
it with Debian amd64 ? Does it work ? Does it work solely with
ndiswrapper ? Are there, then, 64bit drivers for it ? Or does it work
with linux without ndiswrapper ? Since I won't be able to connect to the
network with cables through ethernet, I want to be very sure that
wireless on that board will work well on debian amd64 ?

The other option is to go with ASUS P5B Deluxe that doesn't include the
WiFi-AP and buy an additional PCI or USB WiFi card. After reading some
recommendations on this list it seems that Ralink based WiFi is going to
work fine. Googling I found out about Ralink RT2501 PCI and Ralink
RT2501U USB that are said to be linux supported. Are there any
recommendations with what to go: USB or PCI ? Since I am going to use it
only on this new computer, I think I should settle for the PCI version.

Are these Ralink WiFi cards well supported under linux? Is the support
built into the stock debian linux kernel, or I will have to compile a
custom kernel to make the WiFi work ?

Are there any other WiFi cards I should consider that may work better
under linux ?

So, what is the recommended way to go: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP or ASUS
P5B Deluxe + WiFi card ?

One more question: I intend to use the new box with debian etch. Are
these motherboards going to work with linux kernel 2.6.18 ?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated...

--
"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde