Re: confused about performance

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> [...]

You've tried compiling with the jobs flag?
make -j[n]
Look here for more:
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/content/view/7483/268/

Or the code isn't optimized for x86-64
New docs are out a few days:
http://developer.amd.com/

> Well ...
>
> 1. 32-bit isn't going away. The new chips are all going to be
> 64-bit-capable (and virtualization-capable, multi-core, etc.) but the
> software is going to lag that.
>
> 2. There are two reasons you'd want a 64-bit machine:
>
>    a. You have a production application that *needs* a 64-bit machine.
> For the moment, most but not all of those are high-performance
> scientific computing.
>
>    b. You want to develop 64-bit applications
and interested on the NX bit for security.
(how the openBSD guys ;-)

c. You want a stable dual-, quad- or more Socket machine and dedicated Memory
to each Processor. NUMA
(maybe each Socket with a dual-, quad- or more Core Processor)

d. You love free software and want free hardware too.
AMD ist working together with the community from the beginning of AMD64
development and all specs about the Opteron and 8000er chipsets are open.

e. You are only mad about opteron :-)
- because manufactured in your county.
- AMD is helping the community with LinuxBIOS.
(Nearly all Tyan K8 Thunder's with 8000er chips can running it)
- Opteron's make more moo

Ciao Marco!