Re: confused about performance

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 07:53:44AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
>> sounds like a sane thing to do then is to run a amd64 kernel and build your
>> apps in 32 bit mode.  They get the advantage of 32 over 64, but you get the
>> advantage of having lots more of them running in your 64 bit kernel ?
>
> Well I run a 64bit machine with a 64bit kernel with 32bit user space,
> and a 64bit chroot.  The choice of that setup was because the target of
> the development runs 32bit x86 code only and 64bit is just to play with.
>
> I also haven't seen any 32bit program that is actually faster than 64bit
> that I have tried lately, so perhaps it is actually 32bit programs that
> are the exception for good performance rather than the rule.  Keep a
> 32bit chroot for those few programs where 32bit still somehow has better
> performance, but use 64bit for most things since it seems to be
> generally the fastest.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

The strategy the Gentoo devs recommend is to run full 64 bit and have a
*32-bit* chroot for those apps which don't work when compiled for a
64-bit architecture. Of course, since most everything in Gentoo is
compiled on the user's machine and not pre-compiled like Debian, that
strategy might not be optimal for Debian. I have three systems, though,
only one of which is 64-bit (and none Intel) ;) so if an app doesn't
work on a 64-bit box, I just run it on one of the others.