De: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca [mailto:lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca]
Enviado el: miércoles, 09 de mayo de 2007 10:06 am
Para: EMNI Pablo Rafael L?pez Mart?nez
CC: Gudjon I. Gudjonsson; debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Asunto: Re: Hello from Sweden

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:22:09AM -0500, EMNI Pablo Rafael L?pez Mart?nez
wrote:
> I use Windows in the same computer, and I have installed JEE, netbeans
5.5,
> postgresql 8.2 and using these every day and nothing extrange happend.
Only
> with Etch. In fact, I installed Knoppix 5.1 and everything goes perfect.

Windows running on a machine doesn't always mean much.  I have seen
windows boot and run (although frequently crashing) on a machine that
linux couldn't even get past the bogomips calibration.  Had to replace
the defective cpu on that machine to get linux to boot (at which point
windows also became a lot more stable).

A lot of new hardware requires new kernels for support, and etch uses
2.6.18 which is already a few months old and some newer hardware doesn't
work well if at all with it (ATI SB600 based systems seem to really want
2.6.20 or 2.6.21 to work properly for example).