Re: Random Crashes

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 03:10:34PM -0300, Eduardo M Kalinowski wrote:
> The power supply could indeed be the problem. It's no great power supply, and I have two (PATA) HDs. No fancy graphics card, though --- only a SIS 315.
>
> I have also a DVD burner. However, I've been able to successfully burn DVDs (when more power would be needed, I guess).
>
> Still, changing the power supply would be the easiest thing for me to do. At the worst, I'll have a good one to use when I decide to build a new system. (Unlike the DDR1 modules that the motherboard uses.)

A friend of mine had a system some years ago that crashed very often and
corrupted disk contents.  Replacing the power supply with a nice high
quality name brand one eliminated all the crashes and disk corruption.
He noticed the voltage monitoring in the bios one day and found that
some of the rails were bouncing up and down a lot and were not really
that close to what they should be.  With a new power supply the voltages
became completely steady as did the system.

Remember a quality 300W will easily handle more load than a generic who
knows what 500W.  And the more they weight the better they are is fairly
accurate for power supplies, although I am sure there are exceptions to
that.