Re: Howto create 64bit Kernel?

Am Dienstag 01 Mai 2007 schrieb Stefan Drees:
> Hans-J. Ullrich schrieb:

> >> I didn´t find it. I did make menuconfig because i didn´t have a GUI on
> >> the system.
> >> I can only select 32bit processor´s or does "make" detect which cpu type
> >> i have
> >> and let me only select 32bit, because i started on an 32bit system?
> >>
> >> Stefan D.
> >
> > Hi Stefan,
> > maybe your sources are linked to the headers ? This is my way, it might
> > not be correct, but it works:
> >
> > Go to /usr/src
> >
> > Check a link "/usr/src/linux" , it should point to the unpacked
> > linux-sources, "/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.20"
> >
> > If the link points to the headers, delete it and make it new, pointing to
> > the sources.
> >
> > O.k., now cd into /usr/src/linux
> >
> > Do "make menuconfig"
> >
> > In the forth line of the GUI you see "Processor type and features". Step
> > into.
> >
> > In the second line of this menu, you see "Processor family" , anbd here
> > you can choose your processor.
> >
> > Hint: The kernel-headers are only for building modules, the
> > kernel-sources are building a kernel.
> >
> > I hope, this helps. Good luck !
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Hans
>
> I downloaded the fresh source and created the right link. make
> menuconfig shows me
> under "Processor family" only 386 - Pentium... - VIA C3-2. These are
> only 32bit cpu´s.
>
> Any other hints?
>
> Regards
> Stefan D.

Hi Stefan,
is there a reason, why you don´t use the sources from Debian ?

If you use Debian you should use theire sources, because they are already
optimized for the Debian system. If you try to compile and use a kernel of
vanilla.org, you might get some difficulties, as the vanilla-kernel might be
a little bit different from the Debian kernels.

My suggestion: Use the kernel-sources of your distribution.

The other way might be to edit the .config itself.

If this fails, too, I myself fail, too. :)

regards

Hans