Re: [SOLVED (pretty much)]; was, Re: printer setup

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 11:20:24AM -0500, Don Montgomery wrote:
> This is a belated follow-up to my amd64 Samsung printer
> trouble postings.  After pursuing every avenue suggested
> on this list, and doing some reinstalls, and looking at
> how Knoppix successfully recognized the printer, I finally
> gave up for a while.
>
> I came back to the problem a couple of days ago, and reset
> the server config file to default.  I then tried to set up
> the printer.  Although the printer was recognized by name,
> it would not do more than warm up and sit idle.  This
> time, though, I noticed two other entries in the printer
> list, a Canon and an Epson (don't ask, I do not have such
> printers, and I have no idea how they got there).  Just
> for fun, I made the Epson the default.  Lo and behold, the
> Samsung is operating just fine.  Go figure.
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions, and also for a truly fine
> distribution.  The machine is a pleasure to use.

I believe the epson and canon entries are specific ways to drive a
parallel port.  I think they do the handshaking lines a bit differently
or something like that.  Never really bothered to find out for sure
since I only use network and usb printers anymore.