Re: kernel 2.6.18-4-amd64 hangs

    >> something wrong.  But what I suggest is that you insert the
    >> install CD and boot the computer (without installing anything)
    >> Then you go to a shell ctrl F2 and do the following #mkdir mnt
    >> #mount /dev/hda3 #chroot /mnt #mount -a then you can use
    >> dselect to install and repair what is needed. I recommend that
    >> you reinstall the linux-image.
    >>
    >> Hope it helps and be careful.
    >>
    >> /Gudjon

    Constantine> I followed Gudjon's advice and manualy removed
    Constantine> package linux-image-2.6.18-4 via the 'apt-get remove
    Constantine> linux-image-2.6.18-4' command and then reinstalled it
    Constantine> via 'apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-4'. The
    Constantine> problem persists. :(

... if you are using grub, it can find the bootable images on the
partition for you, so if you still have a kernel in /boot that is
usable, grub will find it, and can use it to boot from.  You need to
enter command line mode when the grub prompt appears, and type root
(hd , then hit the tab key and it will list out the partitions and
disk choices.  then you pick a kernel, by typing kernel<space> /boot
and press the tab key and it will list out all the kernel images it
finds in /boot, and you pick one... then do the same with the initrd
image, by typing initrd<space>/boot/ini<tab> and pick the
corresponding initrd, and boot.  If you only had one kernel installed,
this might be a problem, and you have to do the boot from cd again.
I have a similar problem when I try to use a vga= command line
argument that the kernel can't handle, and it does not actually lock
 up, but does not display anything while it is booting.  you can fix
this in grub by getting rid of the vga= kernel option.
Usually debian puts a failsafe boot entry into grub that boots single
user, have you tried that, or do you not have?  If none of these work,
install a different kernel using the aforementioned methods, and be
sure to not have a vga= line in your menu.lst for that kernel.  You
can install several and try them all, and their may be one more suited
to your particular cpu, as there is a linux-image-2.6-amd64-generic,
linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8, linux-image-2.6-em64t-p4-smp, -xen-amd64...
(in unstable, in stable and testing there are multiple choices also)

dave moscrip

--
GNU -- It's Freedom baby, yeah!