Re: Install on a HP dc5750

Le vendredi 16 février 2007 à 10:16 -0500, Lennart Sorensen a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:04:40AM +0100, storm66@club-internet.fr wrote:
> > I want to install (at work) Debian on a HP dc5750 (3800+) and I
> > encounter some problems with the installation.
> > With the netinstall the disk and the network card are not found.
>
> Which net install CD?  Sarge won't install on your machine.  Etch
> should.
It was one of the newest netinstall (weekly build ) downloaded from :

I try today with the following CD (first of the set) :
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-CD-1.iso

The installer didn't find the disk neither the cdrom reader, after a
while I get a working console and by exploring the /lib/modules/... I
didn't find any tg3 driver ...
I don't know which is the driver for the ATI SB600 chipset.
The setup for the machine is set to emulate IDE.

I get some messages for the disk driver about SATA not responding
trying 3Gb ....
.... (4 times)
Trying 1.5Gb ...
... (4 times)

and the kernel boot, the installer starts for keyboard choice ...
but when it for setting up a CD reader it is impossible to find a CD
reader.

So we will use an old machine (Debian 32) for the first tests before the
new one could be installed.
I will try more tests to better understand what happens (if my boss
don't find a bunch of other things to do).

> > The machine is packaged with an ATI SB600 SATA/IDE chip and the network
> > card is a Broadcom BCM5755.
> > I know that the TIGON3 (tg3) driver should work for the Broadcom, but
> > the module isn't on the disk.
> > I will do another try with a full CD and a minimal install.
> > If somebody could help it will be much appreciated ....
>
> I think sarge might be one of the ones missing the tg3 driver.  I think
> it came back later again, so probably Etch will solve that too.
>
> Full CD has no more support for old hardware than netinstall.  Same
> installer and same drivers.  You just need a version of debian that is
> newer than your hardware (software developers are not very good at
> predicting the future and writing drivers for hardware not yet
> invented).
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
> �