Re: m-a question

----- Original Message ----
From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: Zachary Rizer <zrizer@yahoo.com>
Cc: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:48:58 AM
Subject: Re: m-a question

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 07:14:35AM -0800, Zachary Rizer wrote:
> When using module assistant to install a package (e.g. nvidia driver, some wireless driver, whatever), it only compiles a module for that currently-running kernel, correct?

It only does so by default.  You can give it a list of kernel versions
to compile for.

> So, then, after a dist-upgrade, in which I have installed a new kernel, when the machine is rebooted into this
> new kernel, I must re-run m-a to install the modules for the new kernel?
>
> Is there any way around this?  I have to install my wireless drivers with m-a, so if I reboot into a new kernel, I have no connectivity and have to be physically at the machine.

m-a a-i -t -l 2.6.18-4-k7 nvidia

That works even before booting a new kernel.  Well it works for _most_
modules, a few are a bit broken in their build system I believe, or at
least some used to be.

You can list multiple versions, comma seperated (as far as I remember)

Thank you, Len.  That worked like a charm.  :)