m-a question

When using module assistant to install a package (e.g. nvidia driver, some wireless driver, whatever), it only compiles a module for that currently-running kernel, correct?

So, then, after a dist-upgrade, in which I have installed a new kernel, when the machine is rebooted into this
new kernel, I must re-run m-a to install the modules for the new kernel?

Is there any way around this?  I have to install my wireless drivers with m-a, so if I reboot into a new kernel, I have no connectivity and have to be physically at the machine.

Thanks,
Zaq