Re: newby trying to go debian

Hi!

1. It can run 32bit apps, but you need to work for it (google for
chroot). If you plan to use non-debian-included applications (e. g.
VMware, Skype) it might be better to use a 32 bit version of debian.

2. I don't know exactly, but since you mentioned that you are a newbee
you sould try ubuntu. It is debian based and wants to be a "linux for
human beings", which means that it is easier in usage, installation and
administration. There is a live cd, try it out :-)

3. Yes, of course. You can boot windows using linux' boot manager grub
or even boot linux using windows boot manager.

4. There are 3 versions of debian: stable (currently codenamed "sarge"),
testing (currently codenamed "etch") and unstable (codename "sid").
Stable means that it is really stable, but unfortunately, it contains
outdated software. Sid is the development tree, which means that it
contains up-to-date software, but this software also contains a lot of
bugs so some programms can be broken from time to time. Therefore, sid
should be used only by advantaged users. Testing is something between
stable and sid.

I suggest that you have a look at the ubuntu live cd, this might be what
you want :-)

Regards
HubertB

--

 .''`.
: :'  :  Debian -- The Universal Operating System