symlink problem ifort

Forced to install Intel ifort on debian amd64 etch, I
installed ia32-libs and used latest alien to build a
deb package, running finally the make_deb.9e script
found in:

http://www.theochem.uwa.edu.au/fortran/intel_on_debian

(edited for "iforte" in place of "ifort" and "9.1.036"
in place of "9.0")

Installation in /opt/intel/fce/9.1.036  (bin, doc,
include, lib, licenses, man, samples).

At the moment I am interested in the libimf.so runtime
requested by a computational program compiled recently
with ifort. As installed on my system, it expects the
library in /usr/lib. What I found/did:

/opt/intel/fce/9.1.036/bib/lib/libmf.so
appears as shared library. Naively I created a
symlink:

#ls -s /optintel/fce/9.1.036/bin/lib/libimf.so
/usr/lib/libimf.so

however, the properties of the link tell (Type: link
(broken). Of course, the library is not provided to
the application that needs it.

Then I did:

#updatedb
$locate libimf.so
/opt/intel/fce/9.1.036/lib/libimf.so
/usr/lib/libimf.so

The problem was not solved by adding

/opt/intel/fce/9.1.036/bin/lib/
/etc/ld.so.conf

adding to my .bashrc
PATH="/opt/intel/fce/9.1.036/bin/:$PATH; export path

rebooting and commanding

#ldconfig

Thank you for help.

francesco pietra
I know that a good friend of mine (of this list) is
able to decompose rpm and recompose deb according to
the debian rules, though this is not a taksk I could
approach.

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265