Re: system_crash.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 11:56:23PM -0800, CHRIS WAKEFIELD wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> Had my machine (amdx2) up and running for about 70 days (2.6.16-16),
> came home today to a frozen kde.  Rebooted and grub would _NO_
> partitions! ...15 or twenty different kernels between 2 drives.
> Checked, and they're all there just fine, so I'm reinstalling....
>
> I rememeber a few months ago trying to boot with a freshly compiled
> kernel and having the boot freeze umptine times at the scheduler
> initialization (?)  tried many different kernel configs, gave up and
> stuck with the only kernel that'll boot my new machine - 2.6.16-16.
>
> Seems the latest 'debian-testing-amd64-netinst' doesn't use this
> kernel.  My original image from an install of a year ago stops
> installing at 'tzdata' (tried 6 times now).
>
> So I'm stuck between a rock and windows here.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Chris W.

Hello Chris,

I'm sorry to hear of your crash.

I don't do kde so I can't help diagnose that.

	"Checked, and they're all there just fine"

		Can you access /var and look at syslog to see what
		happened?

	To confirm: you say that the current standard kernel (as on my
	Etch amd64) 2.6.18-3 doesn't boot you machine so you had to
	compile 2.6.16-16 (or is that an older standard debian kernel).

		If you compiled it, hopefully you have a backup and can
		make custom install media per the manual.

		If standard debian, you can download it and make custom
		install media per the manual.

		Either way, first try a daily-image Etch amd64.

	I wonder if the problem is with grub itself.  I guess you first
	need something that boots, e.g. an install CD or USB-stick
	(hd-media) in rescue mode.

		It seems to me that if grub can't find the partition
		then the problem at this point isn't the kernel.

		What happens from the grub command line (as opposed to,
		or from editing, the pre-defined grub menu choices)?

	The only time I've had hard freezes is when hardware dies.  Do
	you have some dead hardware, say a drive, soundcard, video?

	What is your drive setup, e.g. raid1, LVM, separate /boot, what
	is your normal kernel command-line.

As always, I hope you have backups and I hope this isn't putting you out
of busness while you fix it.

Good luck,

Doug.