Re: Re: AMD64 show stoppers

Użytkownik Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> napisał:
>On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 06:35:43AM +0000, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 02:50:07 +0100, Karl Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> > First on the list is the java browser pluging - the black down java
>> > sort-of-works(tm) (not a Debian package)
>>
>> BS. The Sun JVM 1.5 exists in the AMD64 flavour. You just have to use
>> java-package to create a deb for your distro, if you need it so badly.
>this is true, but as I understand it sun don't have a 64 browser plugin!

Yeah.. and that's the problem.

>> jack@nostromo:~$ apt-cache show sun-j2re1.5
>> Package: sun-j2re1.5
>> [cut]
>> Architecture: amd64
>> Version: 1.5.0+update06
>> Replaces: sun-j2re1.5debian
>> [cut]
>> This package has been automatically created with java-package (0.27).
>>
>> > Next is flash  - you can sort of workaround it by using switftfox (comes
>> > with bugs)(not a Debian package)

as for flash - i don't like to use it from obvious reasons, but the problem is
that some pages use frash not only for adverts but for informational
purposes and then this is a big problem (fortunately there aren't many such
sites)

>> As others have said, it's a plus. I have used a ppc machine as my desktop
>> for years, and look at me, I am still alive.
>> In any case, you can use 32bit binaries if you really need them.
>>
>> > But the biggest problem for me is that there isn't a AMD64 nvu package.
>>
>> I'd have understood if you said Dreamweaver, but AFAIK what nvu does
>> (did?) is achievable with any text editor.
>>
>> Etch will be a very good desktop system, since what you're listing are
>> common AMD64 characteristics. It's not like Debian is excluding packages.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards, Jack
>> Linux User #264449
>> Powered by Debian GNU/Linux on AMD64

What I could add is the mplayer-plugin for firefox. it does not work for me
and I don't know why... the browser just doesn't see it (though both the
browser and the plugin I've installed from official debian repos)