Re: Fwd: Unable to resolve addresses only with some tools

[ Please Cc: me, I'm not on debian-amd64@. ]

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007, Pascal Giard wrote:
> I solved my problem by reinstalling libnss-mdns_0.8-6.1_amd64.deb !!
> How come I was able to uninstall it without being notified that it was
> crucial?!

 Versions 0.8-6 and 0.8-6.1 (my first NMU of the package) did not remove
 the entries for mdns of nsswitch.conf.  I knew this fact when I
 uploaded the NMU but did not address it as the maintainer of the
 package had described this fact explicitely in README.Debian which
 explained this would result in an unnoticable delay; from
 0.8-6/nss-mdns-0.8/debian/README.Debian:
"""
Note: this is never removed once installed, the side-effect of not removing
the entry is that there is a slight delay (similiar to how the Standard C
libraries searches for optimised versions) during program startup and execution
"""

 It turned out to cause problems to leave this entries, and I re-added a
 postrm snippet based on work by Joey Hess in his 0.8-4.2 NMU of the
 package.  I've re-added the removal in my second NMU, 0.9-0.1.

 You probably removed the package in version 0.8-6.1, if you upgrade and
 remove it in version 0.9-0.1, it should not cause the side effects you
 noticed.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>