Re: when is etch safe to access internet?

On 12/31/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 02:45:57PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two interrelated questions:
>
> Short question:  when can my Etch amd64 box access the net via dialup
> safely?  At one point recently in relation to Etch (pre RC1), there was
> mention somewhre (perhaps the relase notes of the time) [sorry for my
> spottty memory]  that a testing box should not be connected directly to
> the internet.  I can't find that anymore.  Right now I'm connected via
> an old 486 with a failing NIC.  Now that Etch is frozen, is it safe to
> connect directly with the modem?

The answer is yes.  The recommendation to not directly connect an Etch
or Sid box to the 'net is given so that people will not blindly go about
connecting to the 'net and thinking that they are perfectly safe.  Now,
it is probably safer to connect a Sid box (packages take from 2 to 10
days to migrate from unstable to testing, even for security fixes).
However, given that Etch is frozen, it is receiving a great deal of
attention.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg00008.html

Etch is receiving security updates.