Re: GeForce 6100 and Debian

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 04:09:59PM -0600, Jacob S. wrote:
> Hello Hendrik,
>
> I saw your posts about the GeForce 6100 video card built into the
> motherboard in the Debian-amd64 list archives. I've been looking at
> buying a motherboard with the same GPU builtin recently and was
> wondering; were you ever able to get your instability problems fixed? If
> yes, what kernel version, which Debian version and are you still using
> Nvidia's proprietary drivers?

Yes, I have it running.  I have installed
  kernel vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-amd64,
  udev 0.103-1
  xserver-xorg-core 2:1.1.1-11
  xserver-xorg-input-all 1:7.1.0-8
  xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:1.1.2-6
  xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.1.0-4
  xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1:1.1.1-3
  xserver-xorg-video-dummy 1:0.2.0-3
  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 1:0.3.0-3
  xserver-xorg-video-nv 1:1.2.0-3
  xserver-xorg-video-vesa 1:1.3.0-1
  xserver-xorg-video-vga 1:4.1.0-3
  xtrans-dev 1.0.1-3
  xutils-dev 1:7.1.ds-4
  xserver-xorg 1:7.1.0-8
  xutils 1:7.1.ds.3

The longer version numbers (10 characters of more) may have been
truncated by aptitude, which I use interactively.

Mostly, my problems went away when I upgraded to kernel 2.6.17-2-amd64.

The video driver I'm using appears to be vesa:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "vesa"
EndSection

I'm planning to go back to the free nv drivers, and if that works OK, to
planning to copy my entire syustem to other partitions, so that if
anything goes wrong I can still boot the other system.

You can see more details at my formal bug report at

-- hendrik