Re: keep specific versions of packages

--- Mike Reinehr <cmr@amsent.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 24 December 2006 09:03, Francesco Pietra
> wrote:
> > I want to avoid any modification from apt-get
> commands
> >
> > mpqc 2.3.1-0.2
> >
> > specially compiled for amd64 with libint (which is
> not
> > included in the package of same version on debian
> > repositories) and installed with dpkg. I.e., I
> want to
> > avoid "downgrading" to a version without libint.
> >
> > >From "apt-cache show mpqc" version installed
> >
> > 2.3..1-0.2, though the list of dependencies does
> not
> > show libint (which is in, because the software
> deals
> > correctly with integrals that only libint allows
> > do)
> >
> > According to Silva's APT HOWTO I should manage
> with
> > /etc/apt/preferences, though there is no such file
> or
> > directory on my debiam amd64 etch,
> > linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64. Should I build a file
> > "preferences" from scratch?
> >
> > I must say that I am not familiar with this aspect
> of
> > apt.
> >
> > Thanks for advice
> > francesco pietra
>
> Francesco,
>
> I've been trying to understand pinning from the time
> I first used Debian,
> several years now, and still feel that I'm missing
> something, but I think
> your problem has a simple solution. I believe all
> that you need in
> your /etc/apt/preferences file are the following
> three lines:
>
> Package: mpqc
> Pin: version 2.3.1-0.2
> Pin-Priority: 1000

As I wrote, there is no "preferences" file on my
system. Create from scratch?

Besides this, what happens to the libraries if I free
a package? For example, I wanted to check the stage of
development of ghemical on GNOME, though it ptretends
to install mpqc too, which is not compiled for the
libraries I need (in part lower, in part lacking).

Thanks for answering
francesco pietra