Re: 2D,3D,nvidia,nv?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 05:49:56PM +0100, tomek.fizyk@op.pl wrote:
> I'm using the nvidia driver on Debian testing AMD64 with out any
> problems (except that I had to install a newer kernel when installing
> the driver).  When comparing to the open-sourced driver I've also
> noticed that the nvidia is faster than the nv (at least in my case).
>
> To be honest I've chosen the nvidia driver because I sometimes play
> the 3D games;) But as for watching the movies - it is possible to use
> OpenGL as a video rendering driver (for example one can set it in xine
> or in mplayer) instead of the Xv (X-video) driver. I haven't noticed
> any difference in xine but in mplayer the GL driver worked better than
> the Xv (don't know why). Of course when using the OpenGL for video
> playback you need the hardware 3D acceleration (the nvidia driver).
>
> I think it's worth trying out both drivers and seeing which one is
> better for you (installation of the nvidia driver is not as hard as it
> may seem at the beginning;)

I've got both working now (two different xorg.conf files, .nv .nvidia,
copy either to xorg.conf to use that driver).  Right now I don't notice
any difference but I know that later I will want hardware video
playback.  So for now I'll use the nvidia driver so I find any hiccups.

Either way I get 1600 x 1200 x 24 bit at 75 Hz.  Very nice.

Thanks all.

Doug.