Re: Directions to install open source video

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 01:26 -0600, Jaime Ochoa Malagón wrote:
> Francesco,
>
> I'm convinced the performance of an application is not affected by the
> presence of the 32bit libraries of software the only implication is
> about the time assigned to the software to execute.
>
> I mean is perfectly reasonable to have serious calculus running with
> 64 bit libraries (pure) while the display is working at 32 bits. or
> another less important application with 32 bits libraries...
>
> I'm wrong?

1) Franceso seems to have given himself the idea, long ago, that the
presence of 32-bit code on an AMD64 machine is detrimental to
performance (it's not)

2) On AMD64 Debian, the closed source (3D-enabled) "nvidia-glx" package
is 64-bit only. 32-bit libraries are contained within a second package,
"nvidia-glx-ia32" which you may or may not decide to install.

3) The "open source" driver is one you already have -
xserver-xorg-video-nv package, which is generally pulled in when one
installs X.org