Re: Nvidia-GLX very slow

Am Samstag, 30. September 2006 10:13 schrieb antongiulio05:
> > Check this entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf      --->   Load 		"glx"
> >
> > It must be activated.
>
> Yes, it's activated but it's not enough. This is the "Section" (I never
> changed it):
>
>  Section "Module"
> #       Load    "bitmap"
>         Load    "dbe"
> #       Load    "ddc"
> ##      Load    "dri"
>         Load    "extmod"
>         Load    "freetype"
>         Load    "glx"
> #       Load    "int10"
> #       Load    "record"
>         Load    "type1"
>         #Load   "vbe"
>         Load    "synaptics"
> EndSection
>
> Thanks,
> Giulio

Hmm, seems o.k. for me. What does "glxgears -printfps" say ?
How many FPS ?

It is a good thing, if you reinstall the package nvidia-glx after you
installed the kernel-module. I had some trouble again in the past, too, and
doing this, it worked (some links are set during this).
Although pay attention, to be in the group "video". Per default the user is
not in this group on Debian ! I discovered, if you are not in this group, you
cannot get access to the acceleration function.

Do not know, if this helps:

Do not build the kernel-module with  module-assisstant, do it manually.
This way it goes:

1. Unpack the nvidia-kernel-module as usual to /usr/src/modules.

2. Enter into /usr/src/linux

3. Do like this example --> make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-k7 kernel-image
to make dependencies, then --> make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-k7
modules_image

to built the module package. After this you can install the
nvidia-kernel-2.6.xxxxx.deb in /usr/src with --> dpkg -i nvidia-xxxxxxxxxxxx

When done. load it manually, I use "modconf" for it.

O.k., if this is loaded, you should reinstall nvidia-glx (see above)

Move /etc/init.d/kdm or whatever your login manager is out of the way, so it
won't start at next reboot.

Reboot.

After reboot you can start X with the command "startx". And, now you can see,
what happnes.

If it starts, check your performance. Check also /var/log/xorg.log

You can check your AGP-speed:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        8x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Enabled

I hope, this will help a little.

Best regards and good luck !

Hans

P.S. Do always use the Debian-packages, the one from the Nvidia-site shall
have bugs.