Re: tyan board

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 01:00:27PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 12:27:38PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
>

> Well if you don't need video for anything other than the console and
> setting up, then onboard video certainly makes sense.  Unfortunately it
> appears you have to get either firewire and audio or on onboard video on
> the tyan.  Not sure why the one with onboard video has no firewire.
> Of course you may decide it makes more sense to add a seperate firewire
> card since then you can get 800Mbps firewire, rather than have to add
> a video card.  The tyan also uses the nforce pro chipset, rather than a
> consumer level chipset.

The Tyan Tomcat n3400B (S2925) has both video and 2 firewire (and floppy,
,4 USB, 1 serial, 1 paralell, sound, 2 GB LAN, 6 SATA 3.0, 1 IDE).
I'll use the video for most things most of the time and for Xwidown
running Mozilla, Xcdroast, and eventually video editing, only having
to add a capture card (or USB dongle?).

> > Given the price similarity, I'm assuming at this point that while Asus
> > puts the value in making it stable for overclocking, Tyan puts the value
> > in making it stable for the long-run.
> >
> > Whatever board I go with, it will be mounted in a CoolerMaster stacker
> > with cross-flow fan with drives in the 4-in-3 fan cooled modules.  The
> > processor will be the last thing I buy because of all the components
> > in a computer, the processor drops in price fastest.
> >
> > Comments on my assumptions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Well I see no problem with either.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

The Tyan Tomcat n3400B s2925 uses the nVIDIA nForce Pro 3400 chipset
	(it also mentions SMSC DME 5017, but I don't recognize that).

Is there any reason to think that it wouldn't work?