ATI driver slow: which way to look ?

Hi all,

this time I am looking for a way to find out a problem and to understand, how
things are working.

I have a 64-Bit notebook with installed ia32-libs. My graphic-card is a X700
made by ATI (yes, ATI sux !) and Xorg7.

All 3D-acceleration functions are accessible and working, But they work real
slow. I do not think, it is the driver itself.

Please Imagine it is sure, the driver itself and the kernel-module are o.k. ,
and imagine there is no mistake either in the driver nor in the kernel-module
and all is loaded correctly, then IMO the error must be somewhere else.

How can I check the rest of the graphics-environment ? Are there any ways i.e.
to proove the speed of my pcie-bus ? Are there any ways, to proove, if some
other things make my system slow , maybe some other modules/software which
conflict with the graphics ?

What I want to say is: I do not believe, that the driver is buggy, I believe,
something else but the drivver makes the graphics slow (glxgears shows 50FPS,
I wrote some about it some times ago)

And this is just what I try to find out. I do have the hope, that some
graphical expert might show me another way, how to check. I am always fond of
learning something new !

Best regards

Hans