Re: Can't install -- locks up

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 07:46:47PM -0600, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I can't install debian, the installer just keeps locking up / hanging
> at seeming random parts of the installation.

Randomness usually points at random sources, not the ones that are
properly under control: external temperature/airflow, bad CPU cooling,
or failing capacitors on the board.
Also RAM sockets can be involved.

> MB: 9NPA EPoX nForce 4 Ultra Motherboard
this is supposed to be new enough not to suffer yet from failing C's
> RAM: 3 sticks PC 2700 (1.75 gb)
did you run memtest86+ ? the modules might have moved slightly
> HD: Samsung Sata 2
> CPU: AMD X2 dual core 3800+
if cooled properly, AMDs should be OK, check hardware monitor in BIOS
whether there are abnormal temperatures or voltages

> Debian:
> Etch/testing "netinstall" from Aug 17, 2006
>
> Selected ftp.debian.us (something like that) mirror
> Created 2 partitions (1 swap, 1 reiserfs)
> Setup SMTP
> Hung on lib6 installation
>
> attempt #2: hung on "grub-install (hg0)"

can you compare the uptimes?

> Not sure what is wrong. RAM timings with motherboard (ram is good
> though, I didn't upgrade it), bad hardware, bad installer version on
> that day, etc.

I'd blame the installer build last...