Re: ext3 vs reiserfs 3.6

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Francesco Pietra wrote:

Anyway, install mpqc 2.3.1 on a two dual opteron machine with 8GB ram. Have no
gui, no applications other that for crushing numbers. Launch a geometry
optimization for a conformationally mobile molecule complex enough that on
threads n=4 command it takes a couple of hours for each iteration. Have about
80 full iterations to get complete convergence. If the system does not crash,
you are happy (and may probably conclude that ECC memories are not faulty).
Observing (top) the dance on ram, I got the impression that ram was heavily
stressed. That occurred to me with debian amd64 etch on ext3 filesystem.
Same "test" with reiserfs 3.6 as filesystem led to repeated crashes.

Thanks, I will try that some time in the future when I can (i.e. I have
deadlines to meet and a paper to submit first). Maybe I will ask you for
suggestions on the input filesfor mpqc when it comes to that.

I would like to be at the beach in Alghero, rather than here today.

well, I am far enough from Alghero, but I work very close to Chia, and I
tell you it's frustrating to have to keep working like crazy when you can
see the dunes of the beach at less than 10 minutes driving distance, all of
this with an outdoor temperature of about 36 C degrees... I should probably
relocate away from Sardinia for working days and only come back for the
weekends. Well, that's tomorrow, not so bad now that I think about it :)

Cheers,
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.