Searching Tool for CPU stepping down

Hi all,
today I have an unusual thouhgt: I am looking for a tool, which I want to
start on the notebook, when doing nothing. I do NOT mean powernowd, cpufreqd
or similar, which use the pins on the cpu to switch it down (on my AMD-Turion
to 800MHz) I am looking for a tool like those on windows in the early 486er
days: they were called "waterfall" or "raindrop" and could change the
cycle-rate from i.e. 100 MHz to 10 MHz.

Does somebody know such a tool for linux ? Or is this on modern cpus not more
needed !

I imagine, with these tools, power would last much longer, when I can bring my
processor down to 100MHz.

Or do I think wrong ????

Best regards

Hans