Re: ROX-->Session-->Family!

On Thursday 20 July 2006 11:57, stalbert wrote:
> Gnu-Raiz wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 July 2006 18:51, stalbert wrote:
> >> Gnu-Raiz wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> hi
> >> I use rox-filer all the time, sid amd64, and it is part of the
> >> distribution. Rox-session is not. I choose to
> >> use .xsession and that works fine for me.
> >> For pinboard backgound I just right click on the pinboard and
> >> drag & drop the pic i want.
> >> for directories, from a filer window, I right click on dir,
> >> select  `set icon` choose `for all files of type etc` and drag
> >> & drop the .png I want for directories.restart xserver & job
> >> done. Is rox-session really worth bothering about?.
> >> Stan
> >
> > I might try that the information that is on the wiki's and
> > other information is not very clear about what arch is used. I
> > do use Rox-session with Freebsd and use Flux-box as the window
> > manager.
> >
> > I have used Wallpaper in the past to change the background, and
> > I use to keep a file of pictures and change them out. I also
> > had a bunch of various icons pictures so I could have all the
> > cool looking icons I wanted.
> >
> > Are you able to drop like mpeg2 or avi's on your xine icons, or
> > mplayer icons to start playing movies, or clips?  I just love
> > that ability, it saves so much time then having to mess with
> > cmd line, or start up mplayer, or xine.
> >
> > Right now one of the problems keeping me from running
> > Rox-session is a python-dbus dependence, which I have not been
> > able to track down. I will do a follow up post to update
> > everyone on the progress.  I will sure try out the options of
> > what Rox-filer has to offer, maybe I need to read the man
> > pages, and documents for Rox.
> >
> > Gnu_Raiz
>
> I am using rox-filer 2.4.1 which is what comes with the debian
> distribution. It just works
> out of the box with apt-get install rox-filer. In that case all
> dependencies are automatically resolved.
> You are using rox-filer from somewhere else, in that case you
> have to resolve all dependancies yourself.
> Just install via apt-get.
> for window manager I am using sawfish.
> jpeg bmp xpm png tiff and even svg all work fine.   avi and
> other movie formats do not.
>
> regards
> stan

I am using testing,the filer is included in etch so I had no problem
installing that. Also zeroinstall was fine as well due to the fact
that it had a .deb as well.

After doing some reading all Rox-Session does is manage sessions
between your Rox-Filer and your Window manager.  In other words it
sets up Rox-Filer, as the file manager and will put a entry in your
gdm, as ROX, or in kdm puts an entry as custom. It also allows you
to log out of the session, and choose a window manager to use with
Rox-Filer the next time Rox-Session is run.

Since you have put the needed lines in your .xsession I guess one
does not need the Rox-Session.  After playing with it a little, you
could do everything you needed just with that.  I need to study the
manual as I need to setup starting programs like KDE does so when
you log out of your session you don't need to restart every program
you use all the time.  I thought their was a way to do that with
some of the options, but it did not turn out that way.

Olaunch is pretty cool, I don't have it installed on my bsd machine,
but it's fun to play with it on my etch system. I am just so amazed
at how fast it is, I have a laptop that would really benefit for
it.  That will be my next sub project when I get more time.

Gnu_Raiz