Re: No sound on etch when using video players

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:47:39AM +0100 Jo Shields said:
> Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
> >Hi
> >   I might be off topic but I have had the problem with my sound card
> >that /dev/dsp is not created at boot time. I need to create it myself
> >mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
> >chgrp audio /dev/dsp
> >chmod 660 /dev/dsp
> >
> >then I can use realplayer and skype. Hope it helps and a solution would be
> >very much appreciated:)
> >
> >/Gudjon
>
> or "modprobe snd-pcm-oss"

After another round of experimmentation, the situation is the same.

lsmod | grep snd shows the following:

snd_intel8x0           35112  0
snd_ac97_codec        102716  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_ac97_bus            3072  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            42656  0
snd_mixer_oss          18048  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                89100  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              24200  1 snd_pcm
snd                    62976  6
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              10912  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11536  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

I ran alsaconf and now cat /proc/asound/cards shows one card:

0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
                      NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xd3103000, irq 17

An ls /dev/dsp shows that dsp is a soft link to dsp0.

ls -la /dev/dsp shows that it is set up correctly:

crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2006-07-20 10:01 /dev/dsp0

I don't know if there is some bunfight between KDE and Gnome apps for
devices - but then the KDE devices should work because Kscd plays music
fine. The KDE video players don't give me anything except pictures.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The situation is driving me nuts.

Sam
- --
Sam Varghese
http://www.gnubies.com
Software industry: unique industry where selling substandard goods is
legal and you can charge extra for fixing the problems.
My PGP key: http://www.gnubies.com/encryption/sign.txt