Re: reiserfs/md1/failure/threads

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 19:15, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:45:08PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > On this suspicion, my relationships with reiserfs 3.6 are closed, as far
> > as amd64 is concerned.
> >
> > That involves reinstalling amd 64 etch, I imagine. Could I start from
> > raid1 installed and simply reform the file system or is it better start
> > from scratch (I mean even to clarify the matter 32/64)? Perhaps it will
> > be easier for me to start from scratch. Is it any suggestion about the
> > install CD (to go then to a net install)?
>
> Well I know how I did my conversions of filesystems before, but it is
> more tricky (but takes less time).
>
> I dropped one disk out of the raid, created a new degraded raid with it,
> and made a filesystem on it, copied the data with cp -ax from the
> current filesystem to the new one, then rebooted to the new filesystem
> and added the old filesystem raid drive to the new raid.
>
> It might be simpler to just reinstall though using whatever method you
> used before.  You should be able to reuse the partition setup from
> before, and just tell it to reassemble the raids and then pick the
> filesystem and mount points again.
Yes, this should be simpler for me.

> Of courses there is a small chance that you are dealing with a hardware
> problem such as memory or cpu
Not to insist any further on the relative merits of the various filesystems,
but in the general interest of maintaining amd64 (and therefore of
examinining parameters one at once, withouth mixing problems), did you notice
my e-mail of today emphasizing that after the crash my data are intact? I
wonder whether your suspicion about memory or cpu may be the point. How to
carry out a thourough memory test and identifying which slot is defective, if
any? Although Kingston ECC, one of the eight slots (1GB each) might be
defective.

What about checking the cpu? I can simply tell that I monitored the
temperature during the long calculation, with the machine in a strongly
ventilated area. Starting from 36C, the temp raised to 44C at maximum. I
don't know the correspondence with real temp ($sensors) but the difference
should tell. AMD for my 265 dual opterons indicates case temperature 49-67C
(is what I measured just case temp?). AMD also indicate as temp limits 10-35,
but I gues this should be the ambient temperatures.

Also, how to check thouroghly the disks?

Thanks a lot for your interest and advice
francesco