New to 64 bit/Sorta new to Debian....

I am currently running the unofficial sarge port to 64bits, and while I am now
happy to have a computer back (building the new one took about 6 weeks, due
to a crappy online seller), I am a little bummed to find myself seemingly out
in the cold. I am a desktop user, running Linux for about 6-7 years, mostly
on the RH side, having moved over to Debian about 3 months ago.

First question how stable is etch? Should I just move on over right now, or
should I wait a little?

For those running Sarge, how can one upload openoffice? It appears to be in a
vicious circle, not wanting to upload due to no dependancies being selected,
add them into the upload, and it still fails? Could I run the 32 bit version,
or could I force the issue somehow?

How about Backports? Is there hope of getting something newer though them?
What about Sarge source packages? Can I compile them on this machine and end
up with 64 bit code?

Thanks-

Rob
--