Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

It would have been nice to know that the structure of /usr/X11R6 had changed completely so
that it broke my .cshrc file. This fix was on an ubuntu list and was found by
Ozzy Lash (again, thanks).
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 01:17:38PM -0700, ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 01:56:57PM -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 03:11:19PM -0700, ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov wrote:
> > >
> > > Before I bought my machine (18 months ago, now) I benchmarked it
> > > on the code that I use.  It was 10 times faster than my old 500 MHz
> > > Pentium-III, and 30% faster than an equivalently available/priced
> > > new Pentium-IV.
> >
> > How did it compare to an AMD XP? How much are you paying for the increase
> > in speed?
>
> Going for a high-end processor probably contributed $300 to the
> $1100 total (not including monitor, which I did not upgrade).
> I did not measure the speed of an AMD XP, I have trouble imagining
> it was any faster than the Pentium-IV.
>
> > FLOPS/dollar(euro) are what drive my decisions.
>
> My needs don't parallelize.  I wanted one fast workstation.
> And I got it.

> > > [chop]
> > >
> > I could spend my time rolling up my sleaves (fortune knows I've done that many
> > times) or I could do what I'm paid to do, physics. I'm willing to stay in
> > the stable sand box to do that. There simply is no stable sandbox for AMD64.
>
> 18 months ago, Debian amd64 was considered bleeding edge.
> Now I would not hesitate to use it for production work.
> Everything I need works reliably in Debian sid.  I see
> no reproducible reports that grace or ddd are exceptions.
>
> If you want help troubleshooting your amd64 install, ask.
> Your descriptions in other email make it sound like something
> is definitely broken, but I can't tell exactly what.

I have had very good luck with this list in the past. I had asked at least three times
about this problem, with no response.