Re: kernel error, packages, unstable

Thanks for detailing your experience and for your patience.

However, before moving, I decided to wait for the whole day, until a balanced
view, which hopefully also takes into account the (problem ?) of /lib32.

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 09:15, Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
> Hi
>    I hope I am not forcing my solutions to the list. I have had the problem
> with kernel 2.6 14 and 2.6.15 (2.6.13 never installed) that the computer
> froze, most often during heavy simulation but also without anything
> happening. The same happened to some i386 machines as well. With kernels
> 2.6.12 and 2.6.16 it hasn't crashed a single time.
>    I have decided several times to stick to Debian testing but unstable
> seems to be more usable and less problematic in many ways.
>    After reading the incoming mails and talking to my Debian friends I
> think I should recommend two things:
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
> On this homepage, all of the debian packages and their contents can be
> search in such a simple way that even I can do it.
> The tool
> dselect
> is a very handy tool to install packages.
I found it difficult to use, but it may be my fault.

> You can see the whole list of
> installed and available packages. A friend of min recommends aptitude but I
> haven't had the time to check it out properly.
I found it easier to use that dselect, and I use it.

Probably, any such help is a limitation to what can be done if one knowns the
system adequately. Which is not my case. I found #aptitude useful to get a
broad view on the system.

Cheers
francesco