Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

Art Edwards wrote:

Unless such core pieces as the debugging tool (ddd) and the data display tool
(xmgrace) are working, it is dishonest to pretend that the 64-bit version is ready for testing.

ddd and grace are in Debian testing (etch) amd64 and work fine. So where exactly is the issue?

We use an mixture of testing and unstable here with the following priority setting /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: -1
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: -2

So, if a package is still brocken in testing (as parts of gnome at least at box installation time), we take it from unstable with

apt-get install PACKAGE -t unstable,

including its dependencies.

So far, we observerd no major issues.

--
Oliver Rother, Department of Space Physics,
University of Kiel, Leibnizstr. 11/505a, D-24118 Kiel