Re: libacml.a

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Francesco Pietra wrote:

As to compilers,
#aptitude
reveals installed
g++-4.1 (4.1.0-4)
g77 (4:3.4.6-4)
A g77-3.4 (3.4.6-1)
A gcc (4:4.03-4)
A gcc-3.4 (3.4.6-1)
A gcc-3.4-base (3.4.6-1)
gcc-4.0-base (4.0.3-3)

You should be consistent in the compilers you use when mixing sources in
different languages, i.e. Fortran and C/C++. In particular, if using the GNU
compilers you should compile your package with the compilers from the same
version, either all 3.4 or 4.0 or 4.1. Mixing object code compiled with
g77-3.4 and g++-4.1 is asking for trouble, since some Application Binary
Interfaces changed between versions. It might work, sometimes, but it
usually won't. This does not mean that you cannot have them all installed at
the same time (I have the full 3.3, 3.4, 4.0 and 4.1 GNU compiler suites
installed on my Debian/unstable laptop, for testing purposes), but you must
be careful, when compiling packages, not to mix them. One easy way to do
this is to make sure that the default compilers (i.e. "gcc" etc., when
invoked without specifying any version) are all from the same suite. Another
way is to specify which one you want to use when configuring the package for
compilation. If it uses the GNU autoconf system, try typing "./configure
--help", it will probably tell you about a host of environment variables you
can use to choose the compilers to use, usually something like CC, CXX,
F77... Set them explicitly to one and the same version of compiler, such as
"CC=gcc-3.4", "CXX=g++-3.4", "F77=g77-3.4" etc., or another version you
prefer, as long as they are consistent. This choice dictates which libacml
you need to use: if the fortran compiler of the GNU suite you want to use is
g77, you probably want the Linux gnu version, if you want to use gfortran,
you will need one of the gfortran versions. If you want more help, contact
me off the list, so that we avoid spamming everybody, I will see what I can
do and then you can prepare a short summary to post to the list for future
use.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.