Re: Problem Installing nvidia-glx to unstable the Debian Way

--- Török Edvin <edwintorok@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/2/06, Scott Edwards <msedwardsus@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > dpkg-divert: `diversion of
> > /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a to
> > /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.a.xlibmesa by
> nvidia-glx'
> > clashes with `diversion of
> > /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a to
> > /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.a.xlibmesa by
> > nvidia-glx-legacy'
> > dpkg: error processing

/var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb
> Why do you have both nvidia-glx, and
> nvidia-glx-legacy?
> You need only of those.
>
> Cheers,
> Edwin

I was only following the steps outlined by Len at
(http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.txt)

However, I see your point, after step #5 it doesn't
look like anything's being recompiled. So I checked
with dpkg to see what nvidia stuff is currently on the
system:

==========
benito:~# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
iU  nvidia-glx-dev                   1.0.8762-2
               NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x / Xorg driver
deve
rc  nvidia-glx-legacy                1.0.7174-4
               NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
(legacy ver
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.17.1
1.0.8762-2+2.6.17.1-10.00.Custom NVIDIA binary kernel
module for Linux 2.6.17
ii  nvidia-kernel-common             20051028+1
               NVIDIA binary kernel module common
files
ii  nvidia-kernel-legacy-source      1.0.7174-4
               NVIDIA binary kernel module source
(legacy v
ii  nvidia-kernel-source             1.0.8762-2
               NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-settings                  1.0+20060516-1
               Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics
driv
ii  nvidia-xconfig                   1.0+20051122-2
               The NVIDIA X Configuration Tool
==========

I assume this means the nvidia-glx-dev package has
been installed but not unpacked? Also, what is the
current status of the nvidia-glx-legacy package? (I've
looked in the man pages for dpkg, dselect, aptitude,
etc. and haven't been successful in finding out
precisely what these state flags mean...)

Attempting to purge nvidia-glx-dev from the system
produces this:

==========
benito:~# apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct
these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
  libglu1-mesa-dev: Depends: libgl1-mesa-dev but it is
not going to be installedor
                             libgl-dev
  libqt3-mt-dev: Depends: libgl1-mesa-dev but it is
not going to be installedor
                          libgl-dev
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with
no packages (or specify a solution).
==========

So I take apt-get up on its offer and try the -f flag:

==========
benito:~# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Correcting dependencies...Done
  nvidia-glx
The following NEW packages will be installed
  nvidia-glx
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 109 not
upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/3904kB of archives.
After unpacking 11.6MB of additional disk space will
be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 119185 files and directories
currently installed.)
Unpacking nvidia-glx (from
.../nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg-divert: `diversion of
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a to
/usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.a.xlibmesa by nvidia-glx'
clashes with `diversion of
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a to
/usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.a.xlibmesa by
nvidia-glx-legacy'
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error
exit status 2

/var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
(1)
==========

This is essentially the same behavior when I was
trying to install nvidia-glx-dev, except now the
conflicting package appears to be nvidia-glx-legacy.
If I attempting to purge nvidia-glx-legacy from the
system I'm told it's not installed, however its state
flags from dpkg have changed from "rc" to "pc".

I confess, I'm a bit lost here :) ! Are my package
states just messed up, and/or am I doing something
wrong?

Thanks much,

Scott Edwards
msedwardsus@yahoo.com