Re: AMD64 + nvraid installation

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 02:35:26PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Um, I haven't done such a mixed installation, but that nvidia softraid
> is likely to give you grief, and even if the motherboard dies on you,
> and you want to get back at your data. Doesn't newer (XP and 2003 etc.)
> do a soft RAID of it's own, so you can skip this BIOS soft RAID
> monstrosity?

There are multiple problems with this:

- It requires to turn your disk to a "Dynamic Disk" in Windows. Although
  the Linux kernel supports it, I never tried it and I do not know what
  tools are available under Linux for managing dynamic disks (like
  creating/deleting partitions).

- Although XP can _use_ mirrored volumes, it can not _create_ them. You
  need a server edition of Windows to create the volumes. If you do not
  want to buy a server edition license, then you've lost.

Microsoft has still a _lot_ to learn.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences