Re: I broke my X

On 5/26/06, raf@not.priv.at <raf@not.priv.at> wrote:

* On 2006-05-26 09:16 <norv@longforest.com> wrote:

: Hi,
: My xserver is broken, maybe because I was a bit late changing my sources from
: debian-pure64 to debian-amd64 to just debian. I also did apt-get -f install a
: few times which might have made it worse.
:
: /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows
: ...
: Failed to load module "GLcore"
: ...
: Failed to load module "speedo"
: ...
: Failed to load module "nv"
: ...
: Failed to load module "mouse"
: ...
: Fatal server error
: no screens found
:
: I am running kernel 2.6.16-1-amd64-k8
:
: What might I try to rectify this situation?

maybe a

apt-get install --reinstall xorg xserver-xorg-input-foo
xserver-xorg-input-bar

could help or at least give you some hints.

lg raf

I ran into a similar situation last week when ditching an nvidia card
for the onboard via.  Check your xorg.conf file and see if it has the
correct entries for your system.  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg ran
through all of the questions (and even remembered my entries from
previous runs), but would not change the xorg.conf file because it
looked like it was a customized file.  Part of the problem was due to
upgrading from etch and it's stock kernel (2.6.15-blah) to sid
(2.6.16-blah) and modules like nv not being available.

hope this helps,
--
Matt