Re: What partitioning tool is used in the installer?

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 01:35:25PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:45:29PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > Hmmm.  Now that you point it out, I think you are right...  My memory
> > must be failing me.  After yours, which got my hardware working (very
> > important!) except for X, I did it over again with an etch installer.
> > That was a while ago.  (or did I do a sarge->etch dist-upgrade?)  My
> > kernel is is vmlinuz-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic.
> >
> > hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> > Linux april 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic #1 Wed Sep 28 02:05:15 CEST 2005
> > x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Then you must have upgraded after installing.  Etch uses 2.6.15 last I
> checked.  I would recommend upgrading the kernel.
>
> > So I guess the (revised) question becomes, what user-interface front end
> > to the partition editor was in the etch installer back then (and
> > probably still now).
>
> Well hopefully someone knows.
>
> > Or: is it safe to boot the netinstall CD and create a few new LVM
> > partitions without risking the existing setup by a slip of the finger?
> > The big advantage of the user interface is that it really does get all
> > the details right.
>
> Ehm, not sure about that.  I have never tried.
>
> Len Sorensen

Well, I got the new partition creted without benefit of user interface.
/usr now has lots of space.

The first time you do something, it's hard, and it scares you off.
But the second time, you discover you have learned something.  It was
suddenly easy.  Or maybe the problems I had have gone away -- I always
suspected my RAID-1 was not being properly recognised back then, and
that's why I ended up with duplicate LVM volumes...  I don't think I'll
ever know if I had done something wrong back then to cause the situation
or just messed it up with a defective pre-Sorensen installer.  I ended
up in a situation where I couldn't modify or delete the LVM
partition(s).

-- hendrik