Re: php4 phpmyAdmin & associated CMS problems

On Thursday 04 May 2006 15:34, jj cambefort wrote:

> 	I've searched the list, but noone seems to have these problems i
> discovered yesteday. I've a bi xeon machine (dell) with
> linux-2.6.8-12.em64t-p4-smp, running mysql 4 for about 8 weeks without any
> problem. Yesterday I install apache phpMyAdmin and a CMS (drupal). I've
> installed these on several 32 bits servers without problem.
>
>   	In the case of the amd64 sometimes phpMyAdmin complains with messages
> like 'allowed memory size 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 23040
> byte) Drupal (a php CMS) shows lots of same messages.

It sounds as though something is leaking memory.

PHP permits a maximum of 8MB  {by default; it can be changed
via /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini}  for any PHP process  {the interpreter and
script}.  This is to prevent server meltdown when a script  {possibly
uploaded by a luser}  does something stupid like go into an infinite loop
creating huge arrays.

Which Apache2 version are you running -- perchild, prefork or worker?  PHP
carries dire warnings against using it with threaded web servers  {i.e.,
anything but prefork}.  Although PHP itself is believed to be thread-safe,
much of its functionality depends on external libraries which may not be
thread-safe -- and a multi-processor environment is exactly where problems
would occur.  If you are running the perchild or worker versions of Apache2,
first try switching to the prefork version and see if the problem persists.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk